2022 Awards and Research Grants
The International Foundation Award:
The purpose of this award is to support projects that benefit the local community through food and nutrition-related projects conducted through the international collaboration of International Affiliate of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (IAAND) member(s). The award benefits members of IAAND.
The award will be given to IAAND members who intend to work in partnership with another international food or nutrition professional (heretofore “colleague”) on a project that will benefit the local community of one of the individuals. The premise is that the IAAND member and colleague will have somewhat different knowledge and skill sets that, when brought together, will serve to fulfil a need identified in the community. For example, an IAAND member in country X may have the knowledge and skills necessary to help a colleague in country Y complete a project that teaches a community to improve its nutritional health or to initiate a small pilot study that will begin to illuminate the nutritional concerns of a local population. Alternatively, the colleague may have the knowledge and skills necessary to help an IAAND member complete such a project in his or her local community. Either situation is allowable as long as collaboration and the sharing of knowledge and skills is a component of the project.
- Must be a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and a member of the International Affiliate of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (IAAND). It is preferred but NOT required that the colleague be a member of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or IAAND.
Employees of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and related organizations including, but not limited to, the Foundation, Commission on Dietetic Registration, and Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics, are not eligible to receive Foundation funding.
Although not always directly involved with the selection process, current Academy, Foundation, Commission on Dietetic Registration, Political Action Committee, and Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics Board Members are not eligible to receive funding from the Foundation.
Award Amount and Frequency:
- One award will be made annually, totaling $3,000 USD.
The ability to provide Foundation awards and grants is determined by investment returns.
- Award payment will be made to the individual IAAND member with the stipulation and understanding that the individual will be participating in the project and will satisfy the terms and spirit of the award as defined by the criteria.
- The budget for the project can only include direct costs related to the project.
- The budget does not allow indirect costs (overhead).
- The budget does not allow funds for registration, transportation, housing, or per diem to present results at a professional conference (although travel for data collection is allowed).
- If the project can not be accomplished within the award amount of $3,000 US. Then letters of support for additional funding required for the project must be provided as part of the application.
- If funding for the project has been provided by another organization(s) prior to the granting of this award, IAAND requests that the recipient notify the other organization(s) of this award and abide by the rules and restrictions delineated by the other organization(s). If this award is not allowable according to the other organization(s), the IAAND will not be able to grant this award.
- $2,000 USD will be awarded at the time the recipient is chosen, and the remaining $1,000 USD will be provided upon the project’s completion of the requirements described below
For the year 2022, the Theme of the Award is Innovative topics around Food Insecurity and the role of nutrition professionals.
Other topics are also welcomed and will be considered
Selection will be based primarily on the quality of the project plan.
These links for further information: https://eatrightfoundation.secure-platform.com/a/
Questions should be directed to Elisha Reichling, MS, RDN, LDN, Foundation Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s time for the Annual Affiliate Award Nominations!
Do you know an IAAND member that is deserving of one of the annual affiliate awards? These are open to IAAND members who have been involved with leadership and service, in addition to their professional work.
There are 5 awards:
- Emerging Dietetic Leader Award: The Emerging Dietetics Leader Award recognizes the competence and activities of members, regardless of their age, who are at the beginning of their dietetics careers.
- Outstanding Dietetics Student Award: The Outstanding Dietetics Student Award recognizes the emerging leadership and achievement of students in ACEND-accredited dietetics education programs and encourages their participation in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.
- Outstanding Dietitian of the Year Award: This award recognizes the commitment to excellence made by an individual who has demonstrated outstanding leadership and service to the profession.
- Recognized Dietetic Technician of the Year: This award recognizes the professional contributions of dietetic technicians in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and encourages their continued participation in association affairs.
- Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year Award: The purpose of the Recognized Young Dietitian of the Year Award is to recognize the competence and activities of younger dietitians in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and to encourage their continued participation in Academy affairs.
For more information about the award selection criteria and requirements, please see the Academy’s website, https://www.eatrightpro.org/leadership/honors-and-awards/affiliate-awards
In addition to the Academy Affiliate Awards, IAAND also offers two unique awards to our members. These include:
- Country Representative Award
- IAAND Service Award
To nominate someone, please email email@example.com and provide the name of the award you are nominating them for, the name of your nominee, and their email address (unless you are self-nominating). The Awards Committee will contact your nominee and provide them with application information.
Nominations are due by April 1st, 2022. Applications must be completed no later than May 1, 2022. Please consider nominating a deserving IAAND member. We welcome self-nominations as well!