Tips and Tricks for Enhancing Motivational Interviewing Education
Date: November 6, 2019
Speakers: Dawn Clifford, PhD, RD & Laura Curtis, MS, RD
Dawn Clifford: Dawn Clifford, PhD, RD is an Associate Professor at Northern Arizona University. She teaches courses in nutrition education and counseling. She is the director of the Master of Public Health program, which includes a Future Education Model Graduate Program. She also directs a university-based health coaching program on her campus. Dr. Clifford conducts research and is an accomplished speaker in the areas of motivational interviewing and non-diet approaches to health and wellness. She is a member of the Motivational Interviewing Network of Trainers and is the co-author of Motivational Interviewing in Nutrition and Fitness.
Laura Curtis: Laura Curtis, MS, RD is a part time lecturer in the the Department of Nutrition and Food Science at California State University, Chico where she teaches nutrition counseling courses focusing on motivational interviewing. In addition, she is the current director of FitU, a peer mentoring nutrition and exercise counseling program on campus. Additionally, Laura is a nutrition therapist in private practice, specializing in anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder. She has extensive training in motivational interviewing and is the co-author of Motivational Interviewing in Nutrition and Fitness.
- Participants will be able to describe four concepts that are essential to cover when teaching motivational interviewing.
- Participants will be able to list three strategies that can enhance the MI learning experience.
- Participants will be able to describe five different MI skill-building activities that can be implemented in a classroom setting.
- 6070 Interviewing and listening skills
- 6080 Training, coaching, and mentoring
- 6020 Counseling, therapy, and facilitation skills
- 2.1.3 Tailors message to meet the needs of the target audience
- 9.1.3 Identifies and analyzes factors that influence behavior change
- 9.1.5 Assesses, evaluates, and applied educational theories
Password to access webinar: MIEducation
Eligible for CPE until November 6, 2022 (three years from date of presentation)
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION CERTIFICATE
This activity is recorded as described by the Commission of Dietetic Registration in the United States as Activity 175 .