TEACHING AND EVALUATING CRITICAL THINKING IN DIETETICS USING NCP/T
Date March 27, 2018
Esther F. Myers, PhD, RDN, FAND
Winnie Siew Swee Chee, PhD
– Esther Myers PhD, RDN, FAND is an internationally known author, lecturer, educator and researcher in dietetics and evidence analysis. She is President-elect of International Affiliate of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (IAAND). Esther is also CEO of EF Myers Consulting, Inc, President of Spectrawell, and Director of Nutrition Care Professionals, Pty, Ltd. Her consulting focuses on international practice-based research, evidence analysis, Nutrition Care Process and Model (NCPM) and Nutrition Care Process Terminology (NCPT). Dr Myers was instrumental in the development of the Nutrition Care Process and Model and the NCPT, the standardized language system for nutrition care and electronic health records, during her 11 year tenure as Chief Science Officer for the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (AND). Prior to working at AND, Dr Myers retired from the United States Air Force after 25 years. Her career culminated in serving as the Consultant to the USAF Surgeon General for Nutrition and Dietetics. Esther graduated from Kansas State University, Ohio State University, and North Dakota State University.
– Prof Dr Winnie Chee is a Professor in the Dept of Nutrition & Dietetics and current Dean of School of Heath Sciences, International Medical University (IMU), Malaysia. Prof Chee has 23 years of experience as an academician and researcher in the field of nutrition & dietetics. She was instrumental for initiating competency-based assessment, OSCE and international accreditation of the nutrition & dietetics curriculum in IMU. Prof Winnie was one of the recipients of the Teaching Excellence Award in IMU in 2013. Her current responsibility lies in overseeing the implementation of curriculums across 9 health sciences programmes in IMU. Her areas of interest in teaching learning include competency-based education, and dietetics clinical assessment and reasoning. She is active in research and publications in the area of diabetes, renal nutrition & bone health nutrition. Prof Chee is currently the President of the Malaysian Dietitians’ Association and key member of several expert committees on nutrition guidelines in the country and member of the Allied Health Professions’ Act working group for dietetics. Prof Chee is also the chair of the Task Force for Dietetics Education formed by the Malaysian Dietitians’ Association.
After this presentation, the participants will be able to:
- Identify various types of free and for sale products that support using case-based simulations in dietetics education.
- Select or create activities to teach students how to apply the Nutrition Care Process in a case based approach.
- Identify benefits and challenges of using an objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) for dietetics.
- Evaluate whether their educational program can/should pursue development of an objective structured clinical examination (OSCE) for dietetics
8.3.6 Keeps abreast of current nutrition and dietetics knowledge and trends
9.4.2 Selects and uses appropriate content and teaching methods to meet individual and group needs
10.2.8 Establishes the plan of care, directly addressing the nutrition diagnosis in collaboration with the patient in defining the time, frequency and duration of the intervention.
CPE Level: 2
6050 Instructional Materials development
5000 Medical Nutrition Therapy
5390 Care planning, documentation and evaluation.
Link to Recorded Webinar
Password to access webinar:
Eligible for CPE until March 2021 (three years from date of presentation)
CONTINUING PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION CERTIFICATE
This activity is recorded as described by the Commission of Dietetic Registration in the United States as Activity 175 .